Upside-Down Gingerbread Cake
- 3 6/16lbsgingerbread cake mix
- 1can (#10)apricot halveswell drained
- 1 3/4lbslight brown sugarfirmly packed
- 8ozwalnutscoarsely chopped
- Combine sugar, butter and nuts; spread evenly into two hotel pans (12x20x2-inch). Arrange apricot halves, skin side down, over butter/nut mixture. Prepare gingerbread cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter over apricots. Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen edges and invert cake. Cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 20lbspot roast
- 1 (20 oz.)pkgfrozen peas
- 1/3small jarbeef bouillonbeef base
- 1/2cupflourfor thickening
- 4cupschopped celery
- 5 - 6bay leaves
- Bone the roasts; cube the meat and save the bones. Put the bones in a large kettle and cover with water. Add 2 chopped onions and 5 or 6 bay leaves and 1 tablespoon salt; simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove the bones and add the bouillon and this is your liquid for the stew. You should have about 4 quarts. Dredge the meat in slightly seasoned flour and brown. Put in a roaster, covered, and bake in a slow 225 to 250 degree oven for an hour. You need 2 very large stew kettles. Divide meat and liquid equally in each. Add the remaining salt and pepper and cook for 1 hour. Then add the carrots, celery and onions and cook another hour. Add the potatoes and cook until tender. Add the frozen peas just before adding the thickening. Remove bay leaves before serving.
NOTE: You may want to "taste" to see if there is enough salt and pepper as you go along.
- 1 1/2cupsbutter or margarine
- 1 1/2cupsflour
- 2(#10 cans)kernel or cream-style corn
- 3qtboiling water
- 1/2cupchopped onion
- 1/2cupchopped parsley
- Melt butter or margarine, blend in the flour, and add the salt. Slowly pour in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. The sauce should cook for about 5 minutes after it reaches the boiling point, with constant stirring. In a separate kettle, boil the corn in the water with the onions, pepper and paprika for 15 minutes. Add the white sauce and cook together for 10 minutes. Sprinkle a little parsley over each serving.